Position: PAL Program Counselor
Beginning date: Immediately
Hours: Saturday evenings 6PM-11PM
Location: 1166 Old York Road, Abington, PA 19001
The Abington Police Athletic League (PAL) is a non-profit 501C3 organization, organized to prevent juvenile crime and violence by providing programs encompassing education, training and resources to our children. PAL’s existence is a statement to these young people that the community cares about them. Our PAL utilizes community-based programs such as activities, mentorship, and community service opportunities to keep children and families involved in a pro-social situation where law enforcement officers and volunteers work together displaying a positive image through good role models.
PAL staff supervise healthy, community-oriented, educational, cultural, social and athletic activities that provide the groundwork for the development of happy, healthy community members. PAL centers offer structured and personal guidance in a safe, friendly environment. PAL offers a wide range of physical and intellectual activities addressing the various needs of Abington’s youth.
While Abington PAL is sponsored through the Abington Township Police Department, PAL receives no direct funding from them. As such, PAL is dependent on volunteer support from local, community-oriented individuals, business leaders, corporations and foundations.
Our PAL utilizes a recreation-oriented juvenile crime prevention program that relies heavily upon athletics and recreational activities to help kids achieve success. Safe, positive, fun and rewarding programs offering a supportive teamwork environment is the key to the PAL success story that builds happy, well adjusted youth and safer communities.
- Enjoys working with young adults.
- Experience working with children.
- Ability to teach and lead various recreational and craft activities.
- Excellent character and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The desire and ability to work in a cooperative and team-oriented atmosphere.
- Enthusiastic, sense of humor, patience and self-control
- Pass the PA state Criminal Background Check, Child Line Check and FBI Background fingerprint scan.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Available Saturday evenings from 6-11PM.
- Build a rapport with PAL Members and assess their needs and interests.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving.
- Actively participate in activities as required to encourage participation.
- Encourage respect for others, equipment, the facility and personal property.
- Serve as a role model for members by arriving to work, trips, meetings and activities at assigned times, displaying good sportsmanship, maintaining a positive attitude about PAL, members and staff; using appropriate language and following PAL Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure quality of PAL by noting any problems, safety concerns or equipment damage.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform all duties as assigned.
To click here to print and complete the application process. All applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Abington Police Athletic League, 1166 Old York Road, Abington, PA 19001. For questions please call 267-536-1100 ext. 1509.